Hi everyone , so happy to be back :)
It's been ages since I posted. Due to personal and many other reasons I couldn't keep up with posting recipes. I don't want to bore you with my story so lets talk about the post :).
Ever since I moved to Qatar taking pictures is very difficult for me. I am no expert on photography but I am sure most of you bloggers agree that you should have proper lighting to take pictures. At the moment I do not own a DSLR Camera and I do all my picture with a point and shoot so you know what I mean. It is depressing to post these pictures but I do not want to waste time anymore in posting this great recipe .
You guys should try making these garlic knots . I used a basic pizza dough to make these and it turned out great. Crisp on top and soft inside, just like biting into a crusty loaf of bread only this was with lovely garlic and parsley flavour . I got this pizza dough recipe from the net long time ago and did't book mark it. It was a time that I just wrote it down on a piece of paper and forgot to save the web page. I am still looking for the source and when I do I will let you guys know.
I know most of us are scared to try out recipes with yeast, but it's not scary as you think. It's so easy . I always use instant yeast, you just add it to the flour mix and add water and knead it.
Even though, I use instant yeast I always proof the yeast first. You can just add it to the flour. The advantage of proofing the yeast is that if the yeast is outdated you will see that it won't foam and bubble up. If you have remaining yeast in the packet , put it in an air tight container and keep it in the fridge or freezer. Never leave an open yeast packet out.
I made a few garlic knots and some garlic rolls as well. For the garlic rolls I sprinkled some Parmesan cheese for the filling and I made few rolls spicy by adding a little chili flakes . So one dough recipe different shapes and flavours , who doesn't love that ;)
I used all the dough to make the garlic knots and garlic rolls. If you need only few use half of the dough
Basic pizza dough
1/2 cup warm water ( not hot )
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/4 cups room temperature water
2 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
4 cups bread flour ( I used all purpose flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
olive oil or non stick cooking spray for greasing the bowl
- In a medium sized bowl add 1/2 cup of warm water and sprinkle the 2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast stir once and leave it for 5 minutes until the yeast foams and bubbles up.
- Meanwhile place the flour and salt in a large bowl. With a whisk or fork combine the dry ingredients by mixing.
- Add the 1 1/4 room temperature water and 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in to the yeast mixture.
- Now add the yeast mixture into the flour and mix it with a wooden spoon until just combined. Use your hands to make a dough ball.
- Transfer the dough ball to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- let the dough rest and proof for 1-2 hours. This depends on how warm the weather is.
- Once it's doubled in size punch out the air and use it immediately.
- Pre heat the oven to 200c.
- Shape a piece of dough into a rope and tie a knot. Next bring in the two ends of the rope to the middle and tuck it under the knot.
- Shape all the dough and place them on a baking sheet.let them proof again for 1 hour until it's doubled in size.
- bake them for 15 minutes.
- When they are done take them out and brush the melted garlic butter on top. Cool it for few minutes and apply another coat of garlic butter. Serve warm .
5-6 cloves of garlic chopped finely
4 Tablespoons of finely chopped parsley
6-7 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese( Optional)
- In a small saucepan melt the butter on a low heat. Next add the salt and finely chopped garlic and let it cook for a minute.Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Cool the melted garlic butter slightly. Next add the finely chopped parsley and cheese. mix well.